One of the most representative places in the city. In the period from May to September, there take place weekly Sunday cultural events, and in December Baczyńskiego Square changes into Christmas Market for a few days. Normally Baczyńskiego Square is a place for walks and meeting people. Special decoration of the square is an impressive fountain in the shape of a dandelion.
The urban concept of the square: Hanna Adamczewska (later Adamczewska-Wejchert) and Kazimierz Wejchert. Implementation since 1954
Krzysztof Kamil Baczyński Square (formerly Bolesław Bierut) is the central, representative part of the B.
The characteristic building known as the "house with turrets", constituting the southern frontage of the square, was designed by a team of architects: Jerzy Czyż, Jan Drużyński, Kazimierz Wejchert (also mentioned are Krystyna Mikucka and Andrzej Skopiński). The towers illuminated at night were to be the attraction of the square and its distinguishing feature. The building of the northern frontage of the square and the Andromeda cinema were designed by Henryk Borowy and Jerzy Dąbrowski. The panoramic cinema was calculated for 650 seats, and when it opened in spring 1961, it was one of the largest in Poland and the best technically equipped.
Until September 1989, the square was called Bolesław Bierut Square, and for several years it served as the city center and its main commercial center. Here were the best shops (delicatessen, Cepelia, bookstore) and elegant dining venues: the Mimoza cafe and the Mimoza restaurant. There was also the Maleńka cafe, and then the first Georgian teahouse in Tychy and the salon of the Art Exhibitions Office.
At the turn of the 1950s and 1960s, all important city celebrations were held here. The Andromeda cinema operated from 1961 to the end of 2008.
In the spring of 1959, large, twenty-year-old trees were planted on the lawn in the eastern part of the square. They caught on. There used to be a characteristic large mosaic with the word PKO on the elevation above the bookshop located in the northern frontage. It was made by the artist Leon Swadźba in the mid-1970s.
In 2008–2009 the square was revitalized according to the design by Wojciech Klasa, and the facades of the buildings were renovated. In 2010, "cubes of poetry" were erected here - an installation that is a monument to the patron of the square in the form of stone cubes with the poet's poems written on glass modules shining at night. The text of the poems is also given in Braille. This is the implementation of the project of two young artists from Tychy - Mariusz Chodorek and Łukasz Łyduch, or actually only a part of their concept, because the authors planned 23 such cubes distributed throughout the space of the square. The number 23 was supposed to remind you that Krzysztof Kamil Baczyński lived for that many years.